Coir is a natural fibre made from the husk of coconuts. It is a strong, durable fibre that is resistant to moisture and mildew.
Why choose coir carpets?
- Natural and environmentally friendly: Coir is a natural fibre that is biodegradable and compostable. This makes it a good choice for those who are concerned about the environment.
- Durable: Coir is very strong and durable. Coir carpets can withstand a lot of wear and tear, making them a good choice for high-traffic areas.
- Easy to clean: Coir carpets are easy to clean and maintain. They can be vacuumed or swept regularly, and they can also be spot-cleaned with a mild detergent.
- Moisture-resistant: Coir is a naturally moisture-resistant fibre. This makes coir carpets a good choice for areas that are prone to moisture, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Stain-resistant: Coir is also a stain-resistant fibre. This makes it a good choice for homes with pets or children.
How durable is coir carpet?
Coir is very durable. Coir carpets can withstand a lot of wear and tear, making them a good choice for high-traffic areas. However, it is important to note that coir is a natural fibre that will wear over time.
How to maintain and care for coir carpet:
To maintain and care for your coir carpet, the following steps:
- Vacuum or sweep regularly: Vacuum or sweep your coir carpet regularly to remove dirt and debris.
- Spot clean with a mild detergent: If your coir carpet gets stained, you can spot-clean it with a mild detergent.
- Protect from moisture: Protect your coir carpet from moisture by placing mats or rugs in front of doorways and sinks.
- Rotate regularly: Rotate your coir carpet regularly to ensure it wears evenly.
Is coir carpet suitable for high-traffic areas?
Yes, coir carpet is suitable for high-traffic areas. Coir is very durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
However, it is important to note that coir is a natural fibre that will wear over time. The amount of wear and tear that a coir carpet can withstand will depend on the quality of the carpet, the amount of traffic it receives, and the care that it is given.
Should my coir carpet be laid with underlay?
Yes, it is recommended that you lay your coir carpet with underlay. Underlay will provide additional cushioning and support for your carpet, which will help to extend its lifespan. Underlay will also help to reduce noise and heat transfer.
What are the pros and cons of coir?
- Natural and environmentally friendly
- Easy to clean
- Can be rough underfoot
- May fade in direct sunlight
- Can be susceptible to mildew if not properly cared for
Is coir mould resistant?
Coir is not mould-resistant, but it is mildew-resistant. Mildew is a type of fungus that grows in moist, humid conditions. Coir is naturally resistant to mildew because it is a strong, durable fibre that does not absorb moisture.
However, if coir is not properly cared for, it can develop mildew. To prevent mildew, it is important to vacuum or sweep your coir carpet regularly and to keep it dry. You can also protect your coir carpet from mildew by placing mats or rugs in front of doorways and sinks.
Buy online at Knotistry.
We also offer free samples
Browse our high-quality range of panama, herringbone or bouclé coir designs, as well as our Superior Coir collection which offers a mixture of 67% coir and 33% sisal.
We also offer free samples to ensure that your chosen coir carpet fits your décor, before you place your order.
Natural flooring is a unique product that requires specialist fitting knowledge and skill. When you order a coir carpet through Knotistry, we’ll also put you in touch with a NICF-approved fitter – just ask our team.